Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I'd rather be reading...



But how can I read when I have so much shelving to do? Above, you see an image of four titles available today.

1) Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk. Do we call Chuck Palahniuk a "cult" writer anymore? Sure, his fans are devoted, but doesn't the word also suggest that the number of people buying his books is small? I was working the night he signed copies of Choke until 1am. Devoted? Heck yes. Small? Not even close.

2) The Yiddish Policeman's Union by Michael Chabon. I'm a sucker for anyone who mentions Matter-Eater Lad in a story. Stesha, our Events Coördinator, loved this book.

3) The Pesthouse by Jim Crace. The fact that the notorious, attention-seeking critic (and, to give him his due, really talented novelist) Dale Peck doesn't like Jim Crace's books makes me love them all the more. But I loved them from the first page of Being Dead.

4) Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver. Kingsolver gets back to the land and she and family start growing their own food. She chronicles the experience in her new book.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:47 PM

    Rant was really good . . . even better than Choke, which I hear is being made into a movie! I'm reading The Pesthouse now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! We love hearing from you.

tell all your friends!