Wednesday, April 11, 2007

National Poetry Month Recommendation: A Sonnet

Brad has sent us his favorite sonnet by Shakespeare. Enjoy:

CXLI

1. In faith I do not love thee with mine eyes,
2. For they in thee a thousand errors note;
3. But 'tis my heart that loves what they despise,
4. Who, in despite of view, is pleased to dote.
5. Nor are mine ears with thy tongue's tune delighted;
6. Nor tender feeling, to base touches prone,
7. Nor taste, nor smell, desire to be invited
8. To any sensual feast with thee alone:
9. But my five wits nor my five senses can
10. Dissuade one foolish heart from serving thee,
11. Who leaves unswayed the likeness of a man,
12. Thy proud heart's slave and vassal wretch to be:
13. Only my plague thus far I count my gain,
14. That she that makes me sin awards me pain.

And here's Wikipedia with some information about the form.

1 comment:

  1. I think that poem turns on the nor in the middle of line 9 because you expect the physicality of the poem to be refuted in the preceding word but BUT instead he ties together wit with sense.

    The Hood Company

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! We love hearing from you.

tell all your friends!