Monday, April 16, 2007

National Poetry Month Recommendation: Heather McHugh

What is there to say about UW's Heather McHugh that will really do her justice? She's flat out amazing. Pete Turchi does a fine job of describing all that is good about her here.

She has her own website.

She has poetry on that site just made for the web.

She was a National Book Award finalist.

She did a wonderful Katz Lecture that you can hear on the web.

Here is the end of the poem "What Poems Are For," which can be found in Hinge & Sign:

The poem
is for something,
and the world is small.

I'll give you that.

2 comments:

  1. William Gass worked Gertrude Stein like McHugh's poetry online, I think introducing The Making of Americans, which I haven't read but know of. I recommend The Tunnel highly.

    The Hood Company

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Thanks for the tip. I've heard of her... :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! We love hearing from you.

tell all your friends!